Monday, March 23, 2009

Veggie Recipe For the Week

Kale Soup

1 large onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups veggie broth
28oz can plum tomatoes
19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 cups chopped kale
2 bay leaves
1 tsp each dried thyme and oregano leaves

Add onion and garlic to a large saucepan. Simmer approx 5 minutes.

Add broth and tomatoes, including juice from tomatoes.
Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, using a fork, break up tomatoes. Rinse and drain chickpeas, then stir in kale and seasonings. (You could add carrots here as well - I didn't yesterday because we were out of carrots).

When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender (about 10 minutes).
Discard bay leaves and serve :)

I don't have a picture of the soup ... I made this yesterday and forgot to take a picture ... but, doesn't this picture of kale make you want to try it :)

I have been on a soup kick lately ... maybe I am getting it all in now while it is still cool .. because Summer is coming, it is, it really is :)

Mare

1 comment:

Ana said...

mmmmmmmmm i love kale and have a bunch here at home so i think i'm going to try making this tomorrow evening for din din....thanksies Mare :D