Sunday, February 15, 2009

My New Library Card

It has been so long since we posted ... and funny enough - I am starting with my pride and joy ... my brand new Library Card!!

Well, I obtained this card on Dec 31, 2008. I got in right at the deadline of the year .... it was one of my goals for 2008 - so like a lot of things I do, I waited for the last minute. It was not really planned that way. I had chatted with my brother John the night before and he talked about 2 books I should read. I wrote the names down so I could go buy them the next day at a Chapters. Next day, there I am, on my way to Chapters - and I have to drive past our library to get there ... it all just fell into place right then. I talked all year about wanting to join the library .. I was just about to pass the library (another one of my goals made in 2008 for going forward was not to spend money on anything I don't need) it was so perfect. It was like the Universe brought me to that place.

I went in ... such a warm, inviting space. I love books, I used to read so much as a young girl and into my teens - then it sort of dwindled down to... well, not so much.

I signed up - very quick process ... I didn't have to pay anything :) She gave me my card and said "there you go". I was thinking .. "there I go what" ... what do I do now. I kind of smirked and laughed and said (in my quiet library voice), well .. the last time I belonged to a library was when they had card catalogues to look up books - and I am talking about a library in a small town ... so this being in the city where the library is actually 2 floors, this was a bit intimidating for me. The woman laughed .. she said - oh, you are going to love it here. She was telling me about movies, and audio books, CD's .... all the things I could sign out. She showed my where the computers were to look up the books. I was on my way ... putting my tax dollars to great use!! I can pick any book ... almost unlimited ... and just walk out with them ... wow!

The funny thing to this whole exercise .. is that in the end I couldn't find the 2 books that my brother told me to get - although one was there, I saw it on the computer, but that did not translate into finding it on the shelf (I was a newbie at it then, I am sure now I could spot it right away).

I didn't go home empty handed .. in fact, lesson one at the library ... bring a bag. I signed out more than I could carry (well, almost .. it was a juggling act back to the car). I felt like I won the lottery ... I got 9 books and 2 DVD's in total .. knitting, crocheting, 2 vegetarian cook books, Reiki, Massage, bead weaving, card making ... mystery movies on DVD .. and last but not least ... the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar (a new post all on it's own ... that is next).

Well, that is my exciting library story ... I think everyone should join the library .... I have no idea why it took me so long to do that!! Now the fear of all fears ... it came back to me about a week later ... dun dun dun dun ... can I find all the books in time to take back to the library so I don't get fined.

Mare

1 comment:

Ana said...

oh yay! you're back! woot woot!