Monday, February 23, 2009

Chickpea Curry

I am going to be posting one vegetarian recipe a week. Wouldn't it be great if everyone just for one day ate vegetarian.
I think there are a lot of people that think about it and want to, but they think it is not possible - the thought that comes to mind, is that it would be denying ourselves of something. I am reading a great book again that I got in the summer - Dr. Andrew Weil - 8 Weeks to Optimum Health. Dr. Weil speaks about changing habits - his thinking is that we do not take things away, but gradually replace them with better, healthy alternatives. It isn't about what you can not have, but more about adding positive behaviors - to strengthen and extend habits we have that are already positive. Speaking for myself, I couldn't imagine a year ago how I would ever be vegetarian, but March 30th 2008 I had a shift .. very sudden and not planned .. and here I am - coming up on one year. I have had some small slips over the year ... really not very many at all - but I celebrate my accomplishment and new way of thinking and not dwell on a set back.

I make this recipe a lot ... try it on rice and with some broccoli on the side (or even add baby spinach in with it and just have that on rice) ... it is great!

CHICKPEA CURRY

2 onions
4 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt (I leave this out)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 cans chickpeas (14 oz ea)
1 can tomato pieces (14 oz)
1 teaspoon garam masala

Slice onions finely, crush the garlic. Heat oil in a medium pan. Add onion, garlic to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring until soft.
Add the chilli powder, salt :), turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander. Stir over heat for 1 minute.
Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes, stir until combined. Simmer, covered, over low heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garam masala. Simmer uncovered another 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

Mare

1 comment:

Ana said...

Yay Mary! Happy one year anniversary! I'm so very proud of you!!! :)